Wednesday, August 11, 2010

SPRUCE FOUNDATION: Q&A with Ginuwine, Sole’

GINUWINE & SOLE’ RETURN TO KC TO PROMOTE SPRUCE FOUNDATION, by Crystal Booker
KANSAS CITY – The ‘SPRUCE’ foundation was created by philanthropist Terry Mason, Elgin “Ginuwine” Lumpkin and wife Tonya “Sole” Lumpkin. That’s right. R&B talents Ginuwine and Sole’ are at the forefront of an incredible community program. The two were recently in Kansas City as part of the ‘Arabian Nights’ ceremony to promote the project. ‘SPRUCE’ stands for “Special People Requiring Unique Care Equally.” The basis of the program involves providing life skills and general assistance to physically/mentally challenged adults age 18 and over. The program also teaches each participant to strive for greatness. The event was held at the Jones Pool inside Kansas City’s Power and Light District.

In addition to promoting the ‘SPRUCE’ program, the event also included a fashion show, a water ballet and performances from belly dancers. Ginuwine and hip hop artist Bishop Young Don rocked the stage as well. The evening was no doubt spectacular. And I really enjoyed myself. I was also afforded the opportunity to chat with halfback Kestahn Moore of the Kansas City Chiefs, Bishop Young Don and comedian Tidy Dillard. However, this column will feature exclusive interviews with Ginuwine and Sole’ as we shed more light on the ‘SPRUCE’ program. My conversation with the other artists will follow at a later date.

CB: Hey everybody, it’s ‘Crystal on the Scene’ and I’m here with Genuine and Sole’. What made you guys have this event tonight?

SOLE’: Basically, the business that we started we saw a need for additional funds. We work with the mentally and physically disabled here locally. And we saw a need for additional funds for them to do things that will help enhance their everyday lives. Things that we take for granted and they get so bored. As far as money to support their basic needs and we wanted to support the foundation. This is a kick-off to support the foundation.

CB: Awesome! I know you’re from here so welcome back home. So, how does it feel to be back here in Kansas City?

SOLE’: Thank you. I’m always happy to come back home and be with my family and friends. A lot of my friends that I went to high school and elementary school with came out tonight. So, it’s always good to be back home.

CB: That’s awesome! So Ginuwine, how do you like Kansas City so far?

GINUWINE: I love Kansas City. It’s always nice to be back here with my wife and her family. It’s always nice to see and spend time with our family. I’m really looking forward to expanding what we’re doing here today and just getting the word out about the foundation for people who aren’t aware. They can learn about and show their support for the foundation.

CB: Is there a place where people can stay connected with what’s going on with you guys? Like a website?

SOLE’: Yes. For the foundation, they can visit www.sprucekc.com and that, as of now, is the place where they can find out a lot of information about what we are doing regarding the foundation.

CB: Since both of you guys are in the music industry, what advice do you have for the youth and up and coming artists that want to be at the level you guys are?

GINUWINE: Stay away from the music business. The music business is no good. I’m just kidding. No, actually the music business is not an easy business. I had a rough road and I worked hard to get where I’m at right now. As an artist, you can’t let anybody tell you that you can’t do it. You need to do it and know what you are doing. And you have to take control of your career. You have to keep up with your career and those that are over your career.

CB: That’s great advice. Ok, one more question. Sole,’ since you are from Kansas City, what do you think about the school district closing 26 schools?

SOLE’: I heard that. And when I heard that I was sad because I heard that Lincoln might be one of the schools to close. That was my school. I don’t have the details of why or what is going on. But I think that education is suffering and it’s sad that it’s like that. They need to find ways to understand as opposed to shutting them down. I think there has to be a better way. I think education is too important to cut corners on that.

CB: I agree with you there. Well, thank you guys for taking time out to talk to me. I think it’s really great what you’re doing. And I wish you luck with the foundation. It’s been a pleasure speaking with you.

GINUWINE: Thank you.

SOLE’: Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great work! I'm glad I donate to your network because I understand that we as people need to help towards who can't do regular tasks everyday. I grew up if a learning disabilities being under special ed was very harsh and cruel in public school of the way of they treat us like animals removing us to class to class and yelling at us. My late cousin (RIP) was born with cerebral palsy and my husband's aunt has Down Syndrome.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete